So the next four days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday) are shaping up to be the really shitty. Basically,the guy that's normally doing the prepping from 7:30 to 10:30, let's call him Scrawny, for he is a scrawny frenchman that hopes to become an egomaniacal illiterate chef like Gordon Ramsey, can't make it tomorrow because he is being told to go to school for that day, since he is actually a high school co-op student and his school wants its students to show up to school once in a while. So when Boss found me, he asked me if I can make it to work at 7:30 tomorrow. At first, I wanted to say no by making up some BS, but I already said no way too many times lately, and I already used a lie to get out of going to work early one time ("I have to stay home because workers are repairing my furnace"). So I gotta say yes this time just to keep his trust. Boss may be a nice guy, but I suspect he is more clever than he lets on, and the guy does have his limits, which is constantly being challenged by that Troll wife of his.
Basically, for the next four days, I have to get up at 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, and 8:00 respectively, and get off at 2:30 on Friday and 2:00 for the rest. If there's one thing people that know me know about me is that I fucking hate getting up early, because that means I have to go to sleep early, and without drugs like Melatonin, it's impossible for me to sleep early. So thanks for getting me addicted to sleeping drugs, Harvey's! Basically, it's like I'm having a long weekend, but in reverse.
So the whole purpose of this writing about my Survivor: MW thing, other than to provide entertainment to friends, is to have a written record of my experiences and what I felt while working this crappy job, so I have a self-deterrent against future incidents where I am forced to take minimum wage jobs again. I feel like I haven't done enough of that, just a whole lot of (deservedly plenty of) complaining about Trolls and SLB and other creatures of darkness at the expense of other stuff. So I'm going to talk about other stuff for a bit, especially things like working conditions, the people I work with, the obstacles I face, and the various emotions that runs through me during my shift, etc.
Basically, during the weekdays, my shifts are usually 4 hours, from 10:30 to 2:30 (Troll is now too lazy to alter the schedule, because, having absolutely no brains at all, she is completely incapable of the little foresight and strategic thinking that's required of schedule making, and basically relies on ad hoc solutions to everything); weekends are from 8:00/8:30/9:00 to 2:00. I don't expect to get night shifts anymore. Weekdays are pretty easy: when I get to work, I wash my hands, put on gloves, and "check the pop towers", or put ice from the ice machine at the back, put them in a bucket, and dump it inside the pop machine (the pop machine is incapable of producing its own ice). I do this for the drive-thru ice depository as well. Afterwards, I take out the garbage through out the restaurant, and dump them to the garbage bin outside (thankfully, it is right next to the restaurant, unlike Lapointe's). Amazingly, this whole process can take half an hour to do. So this is a good way to pass the time, and in this line of work, it's ALL about passing time.
By that time, there usually will be the customers eager to fatten themselves up with our crap. So I will probably alternate between garnishing their orders or doing some half assed sweeping of the restaurant floor or some other crap I can find to pass the time (anything I can do to avoid cleaning things other than table surfaces. I absolutely despise cleaning things other than tables or countertops).
As it is past 10:30, and I have to get up at work at 6:30, I must take my sleeping pills and go to sleep. More to continue.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment