Okay, so for those of you that don't know, I am academically suspended this year. This is because of a number of stupid beliefs and personal errors that I made. Nonetheless, what happened was that I failed most of my electives. Namely, the damned arts electives with essays. Anyways, doesn't matter.
I worked this summer at Chipworks, an IT intellectual property company with fantastic work environment that my dad worked at for the past 10 years (i.e. 95% of our time in Canada). Working at that place for two months seriously made me underestimate how hard it is to make money. This is not to say that I did a bad job at CW. In fact, I think I did fantastic work there because I just did what I'm naturally good at, which is research, working with internet, and sitting on my ass for hours at a time with intermittent piss/smoke breaks.
After that, I stupidly decided to look into other jobs, namely, restaurant kitchen jobs, because I "wanted to know what it's like to work at a restaurant" and that "everyone growing up have worked in shitty jobs before" and that "restaurants might be fun." Biggest mistake ever, because all these myths have been dispelled in around 4 five-hour shifts.
I can honestly say that working in a kitchen is the worst job ever, and that I'm reminded of how limited my physical capabilities are. I mean, I bike fairly regularly, fairly far, so I'm in good shape right? Wrong. Not being able to sit for five hours at a time, constantly moving large, heavy dishes and kitchenware, as well as having to put up with dirty dishes and nauseous chemicals is just a whole lot of no fun. Even worse, is when people around you do this day-in, day-out, and actually enjoy it. That was the worst and the most tiring work experience I have endured my life; it is beyond the scope of my physical endurance. I quit after 4 shifts in 2 restaurants.
So now, I am employed as a cashier at Canadian Tire. I heard good things about it, and I have heard that cashier is not too bad of a job in terms physical exertion. Well, we'll see how this goes, but the break policies is worse than at Quiznos, which was a quick break every hour or two. Here, it is five, so I have to stand for 5 hours at a time. Crap. Get me my knee supports.
Which brings me to this: why the hell am I in this situation in the first place? If I got my education and my shit together, I would never have to grind my ass on these sort of jobs. Jobs like this is why people get an education. I never want to be academically suspended again. When I get back to school, I will destroy the hell out of my studies, it will make the professor stupid. Man, I'll never fuck up in school ever again.
Which brings to my lesson learned: only take CS/Math courses and foreign language courses i.e. what I'm GOOD at.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You son of a... I have a bunch of EE graduate friends that would love to work at Chipworks but can't even get the time of day from them. Do you know if they might be looking for any recent grads? If they are, can you give me a contact point or forward on a resume from someone?
ReplyDeleteI will see what I can do Rob. Chipworks is a ridiculously awesome place to work.
ReplyDelete