Pointless little post about some of my favorite profs I have encountered so far.
1. Larry Smith - University of Waterloo - Economics (Econ 101, Econ 102)
Seriously. Who else is there? Amazing, hilarious lectures and compelling speaker that inspire students to achieve their full potential (me included). Evidence: the grandmaster is the most popular professor in UW, having taught Economics 101 and 102 to 10% of all UW graduates, and accumulated twice as many ratings on ratemyprof.com than the next highest instructor. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is one of UW's best assets in providing a competitive edge to its students. Seriously, if you actually go to Waterloo, this is probably the one of the only compelling reasons to stay (after I plundered all his knowledge, I booked it to York).
In addition to his great teaching abilities, he has been generous in taking time out of his busy schedule to give me valuable career advice and encouraged me to pursue career success. And he supports career ambitions, especially entrepreneurial activities, and instill confidence (or "animal spirits") to students with an idea to pursue it to its fullest potential. I can argue that his influence on me changed my life, and I'm sure many other UWers can agree. In his own words, "my loyalties lie with students".
2. Byron Emerson Wall - York University - Scientific change (NATS 1730)
By far my favorite professor I have encountered in York thus far, and one of the best teaching professor I have encountered. Designed the course that he taught (course on scientific history and philosophy), and literally wrote the textbook for the course. Took a lot of very deep and complicated scientific concepts and presented it in a new, actually interesting light. He usually present how the discovery was done (as in, what the person did, the circumstances that created the discovery), as well as connecting recent scientific discoveries to ancient philosophy (such as Plato and Pythagoras' number fanaticism to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity). Great teaching professor.
That's about all I have to say right now. Can't think of any other profs that I had that was awesome and that stayed in their course to the end. I have an interview with Byron Wall soon so I guess that will be the second on the 'Interview with X' series.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment