So this will be the last entry in the long-lasting Survivor: Minimum Wage series. I know that I haven't posted in a while, and that is because I was busy relaxing and doing nothing lately.
To keep things in perspective, today is a Monday. My last shift was on the Friday of the week before the week before last week. 17 (seventeen!!!) days have passed since I worked. Kinda surreal that 17 days have already passed, and my memory about Harvey's are already fading, as well as any thought or focus on Harvey's. That's how lazy I've been in doing blog posts. To be honest, I haven't really been thinking about this anymore since I've been unemployed. Oh well.
So last Friday, I went in and got my last paycheck, as well as my vacation pay. As I was going in, the place was busy as hell, and it did not relent until at least 2:30. Because I went in at 2:00 in the afternoon, I had to basically wait 30 minutes and chat with Hussein, Mamoud, and his friends. They're actually telling me that Troll isn't as bitchy anymore ever since I left? Whaaaaat.
So on that day, I saw Konvikt, Troll, Boss, Mom, Harley, and two new employees. And a shit load of customers. Seriously. Harvey's food is stomach churning, why there are so many people that would eat that crap, I will never understand.
Once the line died down, Paul came up to me and gave me two checks, one for vacation pay and the other for the last four days of my employment. I ended up getting more than I actually expected. Around 100$ more than I expected. Excellent...
So now that I no longer have to go to Harvey's for any reason whatsoever, I will post the nicknames of the co-workers that I gave when I wrote this blog.
Boss - Paul
Troll - Karen
Hobgoblin - Amanda
Stupid Lying Bitch (SLB) - the short Jenn. Fucking hate her.
Skipper - Katie
Konvikt -Mo
Co-op - Ed
Mom - Natalie
Pandora - Neeshee
Colonel - Kevin
Now, I promised to say something good about my time working at Harvey's, but I seriously can't say anything that I will particularly miss. Well, I will miss the camaraderie between me and Ed and Mo, and when I worked nights with the high schoolers and Kevin, I eventually had fun there too.
I know what I won't miss. I definitely won't miss the batshit insanity of Troll, i.e. Karen. I definitely won't miss waking up at fucking 6:30 or 7 AM during weekends to slice tomatos and pickles. I definitely won't miss the shitty attitude of Amanda, whom I heard have apparently quit as well because her boyfriend called off the engagement... probably because he regained sobriety and saw what an fucking bitch her bride to be is, and thus has to move back with her parents in her redneck town (aka Kingston). Add to the feeling that this torture will never end, and Survivor: Minimum Wage was truly an experience I won't want to repeat. Anyways, since these bad things pretty much dominate and stifle over the good parts, I definitely will not be missing this.
When I was working, I thought I would never see the day when I don't have to work there anymore. The goal just seems too far fetched, working at the place seems like it will never end. And traveling to so many places for so long seems too... unreal. I still haven't quite processed what I've done, and what's going to happen in 44 days. A friend of mine said that it will start sinking in once I'm on the plane. Just like I have a hard time thinking about doing the hated job when I'm resting at home, so too is it hard to think about what traveling alone, in so many different environments, will be like. But, I think that, just like work, when I get there, I'll just know what to do.
This is going to be my last post on Survivor: MM. I'm not sure of the future of this blog. I think I will use this blog as a personal blog, and I will have a more serious blog (Survivor: MM has basically destroyed the seriousness of this blog) and have a more serious blog made up in another domain. How frequently I will update this blog is what puts this blog's future in jeopardy. However, I will definitely be posting a lot (whenever I can) in my travel blog at tomsbackpackingblog.blogspot.com.
To all those that I worked with, you guys definitely made my experience there an overall good and educational one, and for that, I thank you all. Except Jen, Amanda, and Karen. Go fuck yourselves. Seriously.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment